Wisconsin Auto Insurance

Wisconsin Auto Insurance Laws

Wisconsin auto insurance laws require you to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance. You may satisfy this law by either purchasing the minimum liability auto insurance coverage through a qualified insurance company and agent or you may make a cash deposit with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. You will need to provide proof that you possess the financial responsibility to pay for injuries to another person or damages to their property in case of an accident. In Wisconsin, this requires you to carry proof of this responsibility with you every time you get in your car. If you do not have this proof with you, you may lose your driver’s license and vehicle registration.

You do not have to show proof of responsibility in order to register your car or renew your driver’s license in Wisconsin unless you have lost the driver’s license and registration due to lack of proof of financial responsibility at the scene of an accident or other moving violations. All eligible drivers in a household must be covered under some form of financial responsibility, as per Wisconsin auto insurance laws.

Wisconsin Auto Insurance Requirements

Mandatory liability auto insurance is also required on rental vehicles by the state of Wisconsin. Your personal auto insurance policy generally covers rental cars but if it does not provide coverage for rental vehicles, you may want to check with the credit card that you used to rent the car. Credit card companies sometimes cover insurance on rental cars. If neither option applies to your situation, you must purchase the minimum liability insurance from the rental company. This policy will be about $7.00 to $14.00 per day. Wisconsin auto insurance laws state that you must keep the rental agreement in the vehicle throughout the term of the agreement. This will be your proof of insurance in case of an accident or traffic stop.

The Wisconsin auto insurance requirements make it a Tort state. Any individual who is found to be at fault in an accident can be sued for pain, suffering, lost wages, and medical expenses. For this reason, insurance companies advise policy holders to buy more than the minimum liability auto insurance. Underinsured and uninsured coverage is not mandatory in the state of Wisconsin but it your insurance agent may strongly recommend that you carry the coverage.

Wisconsin auto insurance laws state that you must have proof of insurance with you at all times. Wisconsin’s mandatory minimum liability auto insurance limits are $25,000.00 per individual injury or death, $50,000.00 for all injured persons, and $10,000.00 for damage to property. If you choose to carry the uninsured/underinsured coverage, you will be required to carry $50,000.00 per person and $100,000.00 per accident. A cash deposit with the state in place of the minimum insurance coverage needs to be in the amount of $60,000.00. Auto insurance policies purchased in Wisconsin will include the mandatory liability minimum insurance limits. If you elect to forgo the uninsured/underinsured coverage, you will be required to sign a paper stating that you chose to reject this coverage. Likewise, you do not have to carry collision and comprehensive insurance on your vehicle but the company must offer you that option.

The Department of Motor Vehicles will be notified by the insurance company if you allow your coverage to lapse. You will be notified by mail and given a time frame to provide proof of coverage to the DMV.


Wisconsin auto insurance laws require motorists to be covered by the mandatory liability auto insurance policy or have a cash deposit on file with the state at all times. Should you become involved in an accident or be stopped for a traffic violation and you do not have the required liability policy, you will lose your driver’s license and vehicle registration. You will need to provide proof of financial responsibility in order to have your license and registration reinstated. Even if the accident is not your fault, you can still be cited for lacking proof of insurance. The exemptions to the mandatory liability insurance are off highway vehicles and non-operational vehicles which are also not registered.


You must produce proof of insurance upon request by the authorities, as they’ll want to know that you satisfy the Wisconsin auto insurance laws. This proof will be your insurance identification card and needs to include the name of the insurance company, the dates of coverage, and the amount of liability coverage. It also needs to include the policy number, VIN number of the vehicles covered, the make and model of the vehicles as well as the name of the policy holder and those persons covered as drivers. If not, you’re in violation of Wisconsin auto insurance laws. The auto insurance needs to be authorized by a qualified auto insurance company. The alternative is a form sent by the DMV to show that you have a cash deposit in the required amount or a bond with a qualified insurance company to cover the damages and injuries which may be caused by an accident.

Remember that you may need your proof of minimum liability auto insurance at any time. You will definitely need it in the case of involvement in an accident either as the cause of the accident or the victim of the accident, or if you should be stopped for a traffic violation.